I guess my 8-week challenge couldn't come through due to my lingering indigestion. So now I'm trying a shorter 4-week run. Basically, the idea is to have almost 400g of carbs everyday. After the 4 weeks, I'll do 1 week of serious carb-restriction before I go on my 2-week vacation.
I've been on this since Monday.
A few interesting things I've noticed over the past 4 days:
- My love handles have definitely gotten bigger.
- I thought I had put on weight when I was weighing myself during the day - the scale would show my 80kg+.
- Last night was strange. For some reason, I weighed myself mid-day and then again at night. The mid-day weight was 81.2kg and then at night, right before bed, it was 80.7kg. Not reading too much into this because I hate worrying about the extra pound gain or loss. But the interesting thing was that in the morning when I weighed myself again (post-poop) I was 78.8kg. I'm inclined to say that it's carb intake, because my last meal of the day is the only one that is without carbs. I'll observe this for another few days and see what I can find out.
My indigestion turned out to be a stomach infection. Started off on a course of anti-biotics and medication for 2 weeks. Weird side-effect has been that I've started to crave carbohydrates like no one's business. So sticking to my diet has been exceptionally tough and I reckon will be tough until I get off my medication.
My lifts last week were pretty average. Nothing exceptional. This week has been average as well. Hoping to get things cracking as I recover and also thinking of changing my routine - been with this for the past 4 months and change might be exactly what I need.
Now this turned out to be a big disappointment. I've come down with, what the doctor's calling, chronic indigestion. He says it's probably because of all the proteins that I'm taking in - BAH! I've been off my diet for 2 days now. Started medication yesterday and now hoping that I can get back to my diet as soon as possible.
This is quite a bummer since it breaks my 8-week cycle.
I've decided to set myself an 8-week challenge - no cheat meals for the entire duration. My goal? What it's always been: gain mass without increasing body fat. I'm aiming for 177 lbs (I'm currently at 171 lbs) but I guess I'm being too optimistic given that I'm hardly able to have more than 3,000 calories per day.
So the changes I'm making to my regimen are:
1. Introducing 2 miles in 30 minutes of jogging every morning in fasted state except on Sundays.
2. Taking a dose of 800 mg of calciumate (GNC) every morning when I get up. Gives it about 1-1.5 hours for it to absorb. Might not be enough time, but that's the only time I can think of since I don't go to sleep on an empty stomach and that's the recommended best time to allow for calcium absorption.
3. Reducing carbs to mornings only (3 slices of brown bread breakfast) on off-days.
4. Only taking pre-workout supplement (BSN NO Xplode) before higher-priority workout i.e. legs, chest and back.
5. Increasing overall good-source protein to ~255g per day. Proteins from other sources (e.g. lentils, bread, etc.) can go to he*l.
6. Reducing dextrose after lower-priority workouts (arms, shoulders) to 30 g. Increasing dextrose after higher-priority workouts to 60 g.
7. And of course, no cheat days or cheat meals. This is going to be the toughest!
Wish me luck!
Nutrition's a bi*ch! It's almost impossible for me to gain weight without putting some fat around my belly. When I started out, I made decent visible muscle gains and drops in my fat content. But my overall weight also dropped a few kgs. At that time, I was restricting my carbs to complex carbs either early in the morning or right after my workout.
I've changed things around now. I'm taking far more carbs now. My daily intake goes something like this:
Meal 1: 5 slices of brown bread, 10 oz of low-fat milk, 8 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar cheese, 1 pack Universal Animal Pak multivitamins
Meal 2 (30-45 mins pre-workout): 1 serving pre-workout supplement (was Universal Pump, but from today BSN NO Xplode)
Meal 2 (15 mins pre-workout): 3/4 scoop of ON Whey
Meal 3 (immediately post-workout): 1 1/4 scoops of ON Whey, 50g of Glucose supplement, 1 tsp ON Micronized Creatine, 1 capsule of ON Glutamine 1000
Meal 4 (within 1 hour post-workout): 1.5 cups white rice, 0.3 lentils, 100g chicken
Meal 5: 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 2 slices of brown bread
Meal 6: 150g fish, spincah, mixed vegetables
Meal 7: 2 scoops ON Casein, 2 capsules ON Flaxseed Oil
I aim to take in about 275g of protein. My fat content is pretty much consistent which also includes olive oil that I put into my foods while preparing them. I sometimes also include a shake when I am out which is made up of 1 scoop ON Whey + 1 scoop ON Casein.
Despite all of this, I'm having trouble putting on weight. I was stuck at 77 kgs for quite some a few months until I went on vacation and binged on bread and beer. I came back weighing 79 kgs and that's where I'm stuck now.